Monday, May 29, 2006

Shopping and felting

Today I did what I often do when I'm working on a show - and by a show I mean a theatrical production - SHOPPING. I'm currently the costume shop manager at a local theatre, which I was surprised to find that I quite enjoy doing. Managing that is. Right now we are busy remounting a popular production from a couple of years ago, so I've been shopping to costume new cast members. Now, when it comes to shopping for other people I can do it all day. When it comes to shopping for myself though I'd rather have needles stuck under my fingernails. Since I spend so much time shopping for work though, I often keep an eye out for things I need. Case in point, an appropriate dress and shoes for several weddings that I am potentially attending this summer, the first of which is this Friday!

Actually, I'm IN the wedding this Friday. My very best friend from Indiana is getting married and I get to be a part of it. This is a friend that I've known since fourth grade and is the only person from high school that I've kept in touch with over the years. I also was with her in the delivery room for the birth of her first daughter - you can be assured that this was the most effective birth control I've ever experienced in my life! This will be a quick trip - I'll be back home by Saturday night - but I'm so looking forward to it. I am knitting a small token for her, but I plan to pick up the wedding gift while I'm there.

In other knitting news, I've been effected by the Mason-Dixon knitting book in that I've been driven to make some simple knits. Using some squares that I knitted up a while back (I think they were meant for a blanket or rug of some sort) I made up this bag to felt.

They are simple garter stitch squares made from various colors of Cascade wool yarn. Since they were individually completed I picked up the 40 sts on one end, knit a few rows in a different color, and then knit the band to the next square. Once I had the three squares connected I picked up the sts on what would become the bottom and knit a ruffle by increasing at increments of 10sts for a couple of rows. I can't remember what this yarn is, I bought it years ago in Evanston, IL. It is a heavier weight and definitely itchy, but perfect for a dense bottom. After binding off the ruffle I picked up the bottom sts again, eventually switching to dpn's and decreasing to 5sts before finishing. I picked up the stitches at the top also and knit a similar ruffle. Then I tossed it in the washer on hot water with a little detergent. I ran it a second time to get a dense felt and here's what I got!

I've left it in the costume shop to dry overnight on this oversized hat block. I'm going to knit two strips of the solid dense grey wool to felt for handles. I love how the many colors in the heathered yarns came out in the felting process. It doesn't show up as well in the pictures.

Once I get the hang of this blogging business I promise to start posting links.

3 Comments:

At 8:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

 
At 4:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

 
At 2:05 PM , Anonymous Maria Hubbard said...

The Contributor has no connection to nor was paid by the brand or product described in this content. Telephone: (877) 687-4524 (toll free) Violin lessons for beginners . Moreover, Violins are one of the most beautiful instruments anyone can own and play. There is no question that knowing how to play violin for beginners will create all kinds of advantages in your life. Not only is it versatile but you can also reap a lot of rewards out of learning how to play violin for beginners.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home