Friday, July 28, 2006

Finished Sock Bags!

Here they are all finished and ready for tomorrow. There are two votes for giving the Daisy Bag to the Harlot and I think that it may be the winner in my mind too. It is quite possibly one of the cutest things I've put together all year and it has the added charm of originating as a vintage pillowcase and is therefore one of a kind. Feel free to continue to weigh in now that they're done. I added another feature to all of these which is the button pocket on the outside. I realized quickly that I didn't have a place on mine to tuck a darning needle or little scissors into. I'll have to add one to mine eventually.
For that first one I had used a scrap of 1/2" upholstery foam that I scrounged up to make the round bottom hold it's shape. As I didn't have any more I had to come up with another method of doing so on these. My solution was to create piping to set into the seam of the body of the bag to it's bottom. It works nicely and I think is a nice touch.

I enjoyed making these and look forward to trading them out. My job at the theatre emcompassed many things so I didn't always get to sew on each production. Sometimes I would create the patterns and do the cutting but then pass them on to other stitchers. It's nice to have the time to sit down and create something at the sewing machine again.

Not to forget the knitting though I have gone back to a some gift knitting. No, not more warshrags but rather a log cabin blanket that I won't be showing here until it is finished and gifted. It is cotton (because we are in Texas, after all) and did I mention that prolonged cotton knitting hurts my hands? Now that I'm about 50% done with it it has become fairly heavy which is shortening the amount of time it takes for it to wear out my hands. Then I remembered a recent post on Wendy Knits and realized I was using the wrong type of needles for the project! I love my bamboos because they are lightweight, make no noise, and the yarn doesn't slip off unexpectedly. However, with the almost overwhelming size of this thing my bamboo US 6 circulars are inhibiting my ability to get through this blanket with any speed as the yarn is dragging on the needles. So I got my first pair of Addi Turbos and they are PERFECT for this project, absolutely PERFECT. I have several other projects lined up that will use 6's as well that I'll try them out on. I have to say I may be entering dangerous territory with these new needles.

It's a slippery slope.
See ya'll tomorrow!
Tschuss.

9 Comments:

At 2:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the bags came out beautifully! I think I'm in love with the striped one (especially once I saw the bottom). I am totally trading with you. Heck, I'll pay you to make me one if you end up trading them all.

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think I'm actually really leaning towards the blue one, but I can't decide! I also think the flowerd one is perfect to give to Stephanie.

My hair is no longer pink - it'll be dark reddish brown by tomorrow
(hopefully). I'll have a pink/fushia felted bag, and be knitting a shawl.
I'll see you there!

 
At 8:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, so I didn't get to dye my hair tonight - be looking for an ugly yellow-ish haircolor with about an inch of black roots (it's horrible, really.)

 
At 7:38 AM , Blogger Monika said...

I would buy one of these cute bags in a heartbeat!

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger Monika said...

I can't get your bags out of my head. Would you like to trade something for it? Maybe some sock yarn? Have you tried some Koigu? I life in Canada but I would gladly send you something for it.

 
At 11:41 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I have the pink plaid bag sitting in front of me RIGHT NOW! I love, love, love it! Thank you SO much! We will have to work out the photograph details when I get back from vacation. I can't wait to see you again the next time I head to Austin!

 
At 6:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! I met you this weekend at the Harlot event. (I was the Houston chick gushing about your Waterlily top who had no idea how to even begin to spell your blog title.) So I did what any resourceful knitter would do and found you through Christine. :) It was lovely to meet you and perhaps we can do lunch or something the next time I am in Austin or you are in Houston. Take care!

 
At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i LOVE the daisy bag. they're all so beautiful! nice work! i'm sorry i didn't get to meet you last weekend at guero's. maybe sometime soon...~janet

 
At 12:14 PM , Anonymous Eric Rufino said...

Phentermine 37.5 is a weight loss pill that is prescribed by doctors for obese patients looking to lose weight. It is actually a class of drugs and can be found under the name of Adipex-P, Fastin, Pro-Fast HS, and a few more brand names. This weight loss drug is only available by prescription from a doctor, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't come with side effects. Dieticians and nutritionists will tell you that you need to burn more calories and eat less if you want to guarantee the success of your weight loss plan. However, you can always lose weight faster by using Phentemine375 weight loss pills. In Canada, lap-band surgery is the most preferred procedure since it is highly effective, less risky and most of all, reversible. Users of phentermine appear to be largely satisfied with the results. While side effects do definitely occur, they are largely mild and dissipate within the first month. The best thing about phentermine is that it offers hope to those who have struggled to lose weight. The combination of appetite suppressant and increased energy levels can help even the obese lose weight and increase health. As long as patients follow their doctor's directions to the letter and develop a healthy diet and exercise routine, phentermine can be perfectly safe for the majority of patients. . How do I determine body fat calcluations for body fat percentage? 2005. American Council on Exercise. 22 Feb. 2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home