Monday, August 07, 2006

Gee's Bend Exhibition

My good friend Jamie and I went to Houston on Friday and Saturday to visit the Menil Collection and the Gee's Bend Quilts at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston. While I enjoyed everything we saw, I was enthralled by the quilts. The exhibition continues until early September and then travels to Indianapolis, Indiana next. The Mason-Dixon Knitting books bibliography lists a book about the quilts as the only non-knitting source book that you knit from. The hundreds of knitters out there currently knitting log cabin blankets know that this is true.
Okay, so the last thing I need to be buying this month is yarn, and yet...We went to Yarntopia in Katy just outside of Houston and it is the only store that carries the Hill County Yarns and I simply could not pass up the Hook Em Horns colorway. I've got to have something to wear on my feet that one cold day in February that I get to wear the Longhorn Hoodie!
We stayed overnight at a friend of Jamie's (thanks Noah) and got to meet up on Saturday with Kelly from Kelp! I met Kelly the previous weekend at the Yarn Harlot event and I'm so glad we got to meet up again - she's got a great sense of humor and also enjoys knitting things that are way to hot to wear in Texas. Check out her groovy Target Wave Mittens. She also led us to Yarns2Ewe. I admit I bought one skein of Koigu as an alternative color for my Charlotte's Web shawl and it turned out to be a perfect match for it!

I'm getting ready to fly to Indiana for two weeks and also packing up my things since we have to move a week after I get back. It took several hours last night to go through the yarn and fiber, sorting out some more items to take to the Goodwill and other things that I'm destashing to my 2nd sister. I'm hoping to be able to post from Indiana, but I'm not sure about photos. We'll see.

Tschuss!

3 Comments:

At 9:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous that you got to go to that exhibition. We drove by it four times while we were in Houston this weekend and no one wanted to go. I guess I'll have to check it out some other time. Have fun in Indiana!

 
At 5:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had been in Houston last weekend - I would have loved to have seen you again! Next time I'm in Austin, we will have to catch up. And any time you want to come to Houston, let me know. I'll have the guest room ready!

I get to go to Gee's Bend next week - I'm so excited!

Have fun in Indiana!

 
At 6:44 AM , Anonymous Farmington Hills TV Repairs said...

Thiss was lovely to read

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home