Thursday, June 22, 2006

Must. Knit. Through. Pain.

It is times like this where knitting becomes my solace. Tuesday, early in the morning, I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. I'm really doing quite well. The two on the left side were completely grown out and easy to pull so they hurt very little. Of the two on the right, one was partially grown out and the other impacted. This side HURTS because of the cutting of the gums necessary to get at the teeth. To make things even more fun I am a nightime teeth grinder. I found this out when I went to get my teeth cleaned a couple of months ago. I had been very bad and had not been to the dentist for about ten years. Mind you it had nothing to do with fear, merely that I had not had insurance and put it off. Now that I'm leaving my job at the end of July I'm trying to get as much done as I can! Anyway, grinding my teeth doesn't cause pain on a regular basis, but as the entire teeth and gum area is sensitive right now it's causing a lot of pain at night. Enough to make me wake up several times. I finally figured it out though and consented to wearing my night guard which keeps the teeth from making contact. It helped immensely but I feel like a boxer when it's in my mouth!
Here's what I've finished in the past two days when I wasn't knocked out sleeping from the painkillers. The Longhorn sleeve! I've completed about one third of the second sleeve as well and I'm hoping to finish it tonight. If so I can go about blocking all the pieces and get it sewn together.
This is the reknit back of the Longhorn Hoodie that I did last week while That Guy was in Ireland. I'm going to initially baste the side seams when I get to the sewing. Although I know it will fit in the bust, with the ribbing at the bottom it may be tight across the hips (I am a hippy woman). I've already decided though that I'd like for there to be a strip of the off-white going up the side seam in keeping with a sporty look to the overall design. It will add an extra seam but I really think it will add a nice touch to the finished hoodie and give me the ease I need through the hips. I'm hoping to get all of this done in the next week so that I can start on two other projects.
I signed up for the Green Gable knitalong back at the end of April but got sidetracked by my trip to Germany and the progress I was making on the Longhorn hoodie. I love the color of this yarn (it is more rust than the red that's showing up in this picture. Hmmm, a lot of orange tones lately, am I excited about being a Longhorn or what?!) and I've read everyone's comments about what a fun and easy knit it is, and it's something I can actually wear in the Texas heat! I'll also be casting on for this.
The Pearl Buck Swing Jacket knitalong hosted by Jeanne over at A Bluestocking Knits (see the links in the sidebar). I've come in toward the end of the knitalong so I'm benefitting greatly from the many archived posts and I'm so excited to make this.

Despite the pain I'm going into work for a couple of hours so I don't have to miss our weekly staff meeting, and to prep the costumes for tonight's performance.

Tschuss!

2 Comments:

At 7:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just stumbled across your blog and was taken aback. My maiden name, and now my middle name is Liebling. I wish I had thought of the name for my blog!

 
At 12:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog as well and I am absolutely amazed by your Longhorn hoodie. That is fantastic! I just finished some longhorn socks recently even though I'm not a Longhorn, I'm just married to one. Great job!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home