Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A post with no pictures

Sorry! I will have some knitting progress pictures soon but grad school is keeping me busy so I've not been home except to sleep. That is not entirely true, I was home some over the weekend. We're still trying to get the last boxes unpacked though so I spent a good deal of time organizing space to put things away.

Enough with the boring! Sunday was my 30th birthday - Hooray! Friday night That Guy surprised me with a rented convertible to drive in the Hill Country and go to dinner. After eating a boatload of seafood I commented on how nice it was and what a perfect way to celebrate my birthday. Then he surprised me with my actual birthday present which is a beautiful necklace from Tiffany & Co. He evidently spent a huge amount of time picking it out online. He even asked his coworkers to vote on the three he narrowed it down to. I'll be sure to include a photo of it in the next post.

Saturday afternoon I joined the Austin Knitting & Crochet Meetup (north group) for some knitterly fun. At the bookstore next door I discovered a magazine called Selvegde. Go to this website. Drool over it. I bought it even though it was $20 because every page absolutely facsinated me!

http://www.selvedge.org/

It's a UK based magazine that covers all kinds of textiles. The photos are beautiful and the writer's know just how to write about textiles. I'm thinking of getting a subscription as it is a substantial savings over the cover price.

Sunday was great fun! I met up with the always fun Kelly from Kelp! (I'll get this link listed in my sidebar, I'm on a Mac on campus and the link function is not present on my toolbar as I'm writing this). We met at the Yarn Harlot book signing. She and her hubby were in town to visit with a myriad of people so I'm thrilled that we had time to get together. The Elisabet Ney Museum is on my block so we stopped in there first - she was a german sculptor that immigrated to Austin in the mid to late 1800's. Her goal was first to sculpt the great men of Germany, and she did. Richard Wagner and King Ludwig II of Bavaria for example. Her statue's of William Travis and Stephen F. Austin grace the south foyer of the Texas State Capitol.

Then we moved on to the main function of the day - Hill Country Weavers. Brace yourself. I bought cashmere. CASHMERE. Actually a laceweight cashmere/silk blend in hand-dyed greens. It was my birthday! And I plan to knit a shawl to wear at my wedding. So at this point I'm custom tailoring a suit for That Guy for my tailoring class, building an underdress for the existing lace dress, and knitting this shawl, all for the wedding.

I can hear you all laughing in disbelief and I can't say that your reaction ISN'T well founded. But I still believe I can do it all. ALL I TELL YOU!

Tschuss!

6 Comments:

At 11:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a good one!
Love love love Selvedge. They were running a promo last year to sign up and get a free copy. I've been drooling over it ever since. The $20 price tag is a bit hard to take though.

 
At 12:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 6:15 PM , Blogger janna said...

Happy Birthday! ( And to make the link icon (and all the other icons) appear on a Mac, use Firefox.)

 
At 12:46 AM , Blogger Christine said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Us crazy Libras - we must have a thing for the rich yarns. I have some 100% silk laceweight on hold right now that I was going to buy for my personal birthday gift, but I have resisted. So far.

 
At 5:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! The 30's are great.

When is your wedding?

 
At 8:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad, bad sister! I forgot your birthday; it's the pregnancy hormones I tell you:) Sounds like that guy took good care of you. If he keeps doing this stuff after you're married though I will probably have to go into counseling-he he he. (I'm really not kidding.) Happy 30th! And the cashmere sounds lovely...you can do it! One piece baby kimono is almost done.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home