Thursday, September 07, 2006

The eyes of Texas are upon me

WOW. It has been crazy around here since my last post. I am now officially a graduate student at the awesome University of Texas at Austin. Hook 'em Horns! I've only been at it a week and I'm seriously afraid I'm not going to get to knit for three years. This is not really true though because real Knitters will find time to knit! This past week was not a good indication of what the rest of my grad career is going to be like because I had the added stress of our move over this past weekend. We live in the cutest, funniest, slantiest house ever!

We only had three days to move. That Guy had two of those days off, access to a large van, and a couple of buddies that pitched in on the last day. However, I had to go in to work (I'm a teaching assistant, more on that later) for 6 hours, and during the other two days of the move I had to go to the library for hours at a time because I had a ton of homework and our internet was down for the Labor Day weekend. AH! (Side note: I ordered a laptop - a MacBook - I'm so excited! It's got to be the single most expensive thing I've ever purchased with the exception of my car and my education). Needless to say there are still boxes everywhere that have not been unpacked yet. I feel like I'm starting to catch up though. Once I can get ahead on my reading I'll be in good shape. I'm a person who likes to incubate thoughts before I have to put them into an action like writing about or discussing them.

During this time I have managed a few more rows on the gift blanket (so close to being done!) and the Hook 'em Horns colorway socks from Hill Country Yarns. Once the blanket is done I'm looking forward to cranking on Momma' Snug as I'd really like to have it done by the end of October for my sister to get some good use out of it (she's due early February -in Wisconsin!). The frightening thought that entered my mind this past week though was this: can I get all the Christmas knitting done that I had planned? I'd hate for that to be the case. Many of them are admittedly for my family members, and most of them know what they're getting, so it might be alright for me to work on them over the Christmas break. We'll just have to wait and see.

About that Teaching Assistant thing...I have to say that my position may be a little different than the traditional assignment. Rather than being assigned to a specific class I'm assigned to one of the staff members in the costume shop. There are several reasons for this that I won't go into but I have to say I'm relieved. Plus, I like the person that I've been assigned to. Today I did research on sources for lace which for me is kind of fun. My classes are Tailoring, Research Methods, Millinery, and a lab class in which I'm assigned to a draper for a specific production. In Millinery I elected to build one of the tricorne hats for one of the plays this semester. I'll also be making a bonnet. Tailoring spans both fall and spring semesters and during the course of that time we'll tailor a three piece man's suit. That Guy is my model so if all goes well this may be his wedding suit! I will be sure to share pictures with you.

So. Tired. Must. Read. More.

8 Comments:

At 8:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Weee!It all sounds very exciting.

I feel your pain re: no knitting time. Every spare moment I had this week was spent doing homework & I'm sure your classes (which sound fascinating) are more demanding than mine...a row here, a row there...

Good luck settling into your new routine!

 
At 10:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're classes sound like so much fun!

I sewed during grad school. Nothing fancy or brain taxing but it was better than smoking and drinking too much. Okay. Who am I kidding? I smoked and drank my way through school.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Monika said...

Even if exhausting, your life sounds very exciting right now. Wish you well!

 
At 1:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on starting your new academic life! And moving too - I can imagine the stress. What yarn are you using for your sister's Mommy snug? My daughter has requested one. She isn't due till April and of course, she's here in Texas, so I was hoping to find a good cotton blend that won't be too heavy. Take care and perhaps I'll see ya at a meetup.

 
At 9:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaknow, UT and Tech (go red raiders!) are rivals! :D

Your hook 'em horns colorway will make great socks, especially for football games (if you're the football kind...i'm not!) The UT- Tech game should be really good this year!

 
At 7:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to tell you, but the furnace kicked on last night! :) No worries though; I'm not that big yet so I should be able to stay warm until the mommy snug is done. Jim Hightower (from Austin) was in Baraboo yesterday to speak and he said "what the hell is this?" regarding the weather. Very funny.

 
At 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the new school year! Ad I can't wait to see how the Mommy Snug turns out.

 
At 8:02 PM , Blogger Christine said...

I talked about you in the latest episode of Pointy Sticks, and then forgot to say half of what I wanted to say! Eep! The next episode is coming soon so I can fix all of that! :D

Feel free to add the PointySticks button to your sidebar someday if you would like! And I'll be sending you your print soon - I'm testing a new photo lab as I look for better paper. I want to make sure it is the best!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home