Monday, November 27, 2006

Prego sweater

Guess what I finished over the holiday?
Momma Snug! No, not for me! For second sister in Wisconsin. Okay, so I sort of finished it. It is wearable, but as some of you may notice, it has become a short sleeved sweater. The original deadline for this project was the beginning of October. Then I started grad school and realized this expectation was pure folly. Undeterred, I set a new deadline of mid-November. Ha ha! I was purposefully ignoring the fact that the show I was working on opened at the same time. Silly Sarah. Enter the idea of making it a vest instead. There was one potential problem with that idea though. Without sleeves there would be nothing to stretch the ribbing out to the shoulder. It might draw up on itself. So I decided to do a little cap sleeve. I added the right and left twist cables to the sleeve edge to keep the design united. I used the same sleeve pattern, starting with a point just prior to the decreases for the armhole. I was worried that it wouldn't be cute with the short sleeves, but I like it. This way she can get a good two months of wear before the baby is due, and probably a couple of months after as well.
I love how long it is and how snug it fits the body! Second sister is taller than me but otherwise we have similar builds. I used Elann's Peruvian Wool and knit on US size 3 needles in order to get gauge. The pattern came from the Summer 2006 issue of Interweave Knits.

Second sister - I'll get it in the mail to you asap.

On the Christmas knitting front. I have finished my brother's hat and I'm about halfway through another hat. The second of Renee's socks is past the heel. I've started my mom's poncho and dad's scarf is 1/3 of the way done. I asked the first sister if she wanted a knit item as well. I'll talk about it when the yarn comes in.

Tschuss.

5 Comments:

At 7:51 AM , Blogger meg said...

the sweater looks so great! glad to see you were able to finish it with plenty of time left for her to wear it.

oh and your hat that you made in school - FAB!

 
At 10:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sister will love it. Mommy Snug is the coolest maternity sweater EVER.

 
At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Sarah! Do you really think your mother wants to see you in a prego sweater with a prego belly? Please get a model so I don't have nightmares!! The sweater is beautiful and your sister will love it. Wish you could have been home for the holidays.

 
At 7:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mommy snug is looking good! I really like the buttons at the bottom, it does look nice and snug.

I didn't realize that the pattern called for such a small gauge - that's a lot of knitting for such a long sweater!

 
At 2:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great! I like the short sleeves, too. Pregnant ladies get overheated really easily, so the sleeves make for more wearing possibilities. Excellent.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home