Thursday, December 14, 2006

One down, five more to go...

I had the last of my finals today. Millinery. Feast your eyes on the frothy silliness of the Romantic Period bonnet I made for the buckram construction project. Everyone in the class makes a bonnet. I decided from the get-go that I wanted to make a huge, foofy bonnet with bows and flowers. I ended up also doing ribbon embroidery on the brim. All the lace I liked with a large floral motif was upwards of $200, so ribbon embroidery seemed like a good substitute. Regardless of the time involved!
The configuration of the two large bows are the same as they were initially, but the ribbon and flower elements had to be shifted once I got to the final. Our instructor (also my grad advisor) has had experience in every area that he teaches, and millinery is no exception. I had arranged my decorative elements to reflect a particular visual reference from my research. However, those elements differed in texture from the reference, so it wasn't coming off the same way. So my advisor suggested taking everything off and rearranging them. I should have taken a picture of it before, but alas, I did not. All I can say is that this is much better and I am thrilled with it!
I will be draping two exquisite dresses for a local production over the break and finishing up some TA hours before I head back to the Midwest for some family holiday time. I do have knitting progress photos to catch up with for ya'll, so look for those in the next post.

One semester down. Five more to go. Hook 'em Horns!

Tschuss.

5 Comments:

At 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hat is amazing!! Great job!!

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger janna said...

That is so beautiful! I LOVE the embroidery under the brim. Too bad I don't have anyplace to wear a hat like that.....

 
At 2:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hat is beautiful and and definitely floofy! You must be psyched to be done with the semester!

 
At 3:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, that's beautiful! It reminds me of something from a production of Hello, Dolly! I was in once, only much, much, much better made and better balanced.

 
At 9:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And where will you wear this extraordinary creation?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home